Science for the Christian is the study of God’s creation. The exploration of the creation reveals a direct appreciation of the creative work of God. What can be known of God we know through the creation, through His word and by the Holy Spirit. (For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse – Romans 1:20), but the fallen nature of man and his frequent rebellion to acknowledge a Creator hinder this. Students will continually be called on to see the divine order of creation and its implications for other subjects, able to manage the created world according to what God has planned in the beginning.
Biblical Concepts for Science in General
- The Bible and the finding of science do not conflict.
- God preserves His creation so that it continues to function as He planned.
- God controls every part of the natural worlds – His creation – the world we study in science.
- God created for His own purpose and pleasure. All of creation is meant to praise God and bring glory to Him.
- God uses His creation, what we observe in nature, to teach eternal truth.
- God’s creation was perfect in the beginning.
- All of creation has been affected by man’s sin.
- God has provided an orderly world.
- The natural world, God’s creation, is constantly changing.
- God desires that we study science, the details of His creation.
- Man can never know all there is to know about the Universe and about life.
- Men by nature are not neutral or objective observers of god’s universe; man’s ability to understand the truth is impaired by sin.
Students will explore and experience a variety of areas within the field of science including life, physical, and earth sciences through the use of reading, research, discussion (DC), participation in group and individual projects (DC, NLL), and utilization of the scientific research process and experiments. Particular effort is placed on seeing God in all of the natural world and how science links in harmony with the Bible. (RUC, SCW, ET)
Science Explorer Inside Earth, Chemical Interactions, Animals
Textbooks, laboratory equipment, research material, experiments and projects. Internet Resources
50 minutes 3 days per week
- Earth Science
- Minerals, Crystals and rock structure
- Earth layers and volcanic action
- Periodic table
- Balancing Chemical Equations
- Applications of Chemistry in the world
- Animals – Worms, mollusks, fish, amphibians and reptiles
- Body structures, environment and behavior
- Birds, flight and breeding
- Animals – mammals, egg laying mammals
- Electricity and how is generated
- Application of electricity to our work and lifestyle
- Basic Electronic principles
- Electronic project
- Homework assignments
- Individual and Group projects, Progressive tests
- Experiments, laboratory investigations and application of the scientific process