We believe that God calls us to be creatures who communicate through language, based on His example of communicating with us through His revealed Word, the Bible. In the Bible, God employs many forms of literature, including stories and poetry, to instruct us in His character and expectations of us. Therefore we believe it is important for students to learn to communicate clearly and effectively through language, as well as to develop a love of God’s Word and an appreciation for the gifts of the spoken and written word. Students should master grammar, spelling, and other writing conventions, as well as learn how to comprehend spoken and written words, to think critically about them, and to respond clearly and thoughtfully through writing and discussion.
In first grade language arts students will develop a joy for reading and writing. (ESLR: NLL) They will be good communicators using correct spelling and grammar. (ESLR: DC) They will be able to sound words using phonics and context clues. Students will increase their vocabulary, reading fluency and understanding of what they read. (ESLR: ET) Students will be able to evaluate stories from a Biblical perspective. (ESLR: RUC,ESLR: ET) Students will learn to read and comprehend stories from around the world. (ESLR: SCW)
- Houghton Mifflin Reading Grade 1 (2008) by Cooper, David J.; Pikulski, John J.
- All Together Now, Surprise!, Let’s Look Around!, Family and Friends, Home Sweet Home, Animal Adventures, We Can Work It Out, Our Earth, Special Friends, We Can Do It!
- Houghton Mifflin English Grade 1 (2004) by Rueda, Robert; Saldivar, Tina; Shapiro, Lynne; Templeton, Shane; Terry, Ann C.; Valentino, Catherine; Wolf, Shelby A.
- ACSI Spelling Grade One (1996) by Bird, Sharon; Guy, Cathy; Harris, Eunice; Miller, Linda; Wetsel, Nancy; Williams, Connie
- Saxon Phonics (1997) by Simmons, Lorna; Calvert, Linda
- Practice Masters
- Phonics worksheets
- Alphabet cards
- Word cards
- Phonics posters
- Leveled readers
- English as a Second Language Masters
- Phonetic Awareness
- High-Frequency Words Fluency
- Listening/Speaking/Viewing Skills
2 hours per day 5 days a week