Click on the various titles below to learn more about each aspect of life in Malang.
About an hour outside of Malang nestled in the mountains, Taman Safari is an amazing wildlife park. Guests can drive their own vehicles or ride on a park tour bus through the park amongst the animals. With lions, tigers, hippos, elephants, and many more animals, this is an unforgettable experience. You can feed zebras and camels as they come up to your car. The park also has daily animal shows including dolphin, lion, and bird shows. The park even has a newly built waterpark.
Istana Dieng Clubhouse and Pool
Istana Dieng has a heated outdoor pool which includes, a large slide, a kiddie pool, and a lazy river. Surrounded by lush tropical landscaping this is a great place for a relaxing family swim. The clubhouse also houses a bowling alley and a fitness center. Just 5 minutes away from Wesley’s campus, this is a weekend hotspot.
Batu is a small town located about 30 minutes outside of Malang. Nestled in the mountains, Batu is well known for being the best spot in East Java to beat the heat and relax. It offers some great scenic hotels for weekend retreats, a zoo, and several amusement/water parks for family fun. Guests can spend the day picking apples in an orchard, hiking scenic trails, and enjoy a relaxing meal overlooking the valleys below.
Sendang Biru Beach
Two hours south of Malang lies the crystal blue waters of Sendang Biru, a remote beach along Java’s southern coast. Here you can explore the island of Sempu, a short boat-ride from the beach. This beach area is a favorite spot for those wanting a day trip outside of Malang.
This list of fun spots around Malang would not be complete without mentioning Bali. Bali is renowned for its surfing, scenic beaches, and lush mountain getaways. Now that there are direct flights from Malang to Bali, vacationing in Bali has never been easier for people living in Malang. It is also accessible by car (and ferry) for the more adventurous vacationing family. From the hustle and bustle of the main city of Kuta to the secluded beaches of the northern coast, Bali is an adventure waiting to be had.
- Hungry Kitten Resto – This American-style eatery offers great burgers.
- Prime Bistro – An American-style steakhouse with imported beef.
- McDonalds – Self-explanatory.
- KFC – Also needs no explanation.
- Pizza Hut – Once again, you get the picture.
- Hachi Hachi – Excellent sushi restaurant with good atmosphere.
- Bunga Bali – The perfect date night restaurant.Great atmosphere and food.
- A&W – Fastfood chain from the company that makes A&W root beer.
- Merpati Pavilion at Tugu Hotel – A one of a kind restaurant and hotel. Extensive menu.
- Thai Nam Resto – A swanky restaurant that offer a blend of Thai and Vietnamese cuisine, located directly across from MOG mall.
- For a great informational website focused on life as an expat in Malang try Expats Living in Malang.
- Check out Wikipedia’s Profile of Malang for an overview.
- The Eastjava.com website offers some good information about the history of and sites around Malang.
- This Holiday/travel site offers info about Visiting or Living in Malang.